- In a large saucepan, combine the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, bay leaves and basil. Bring to a boil and simmer while you prepare the meatballs. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, combine the meat, eggs, breadcrumbs, Parmesan and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Shape into balls with a diameter equal to the size of a dime. Place the meatballs as you go in the simmering sauce. Cook for about 1 hour and 30 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, soften the onions and garlic in the oil. Add the ribs and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, spices and herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 1 hour and 30 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove the ribs from the sauce (they are only used to give flavour to the sauce).
- Place the flour in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and break in the eggs, one by one. Stir in the flour with a fork or your hands. Slowly pour in the oil.
- Blend well.
- Place the dough on a work surface and knead until smooth (you can also knead with the dough hook in a stand mixer, separating the dough into three parts). Cover with a damp clean cloth and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Knead again for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 2.5-cm (1-inch) thick slices. Roll the pieces in a pasta machine, according to manufacturer's instructions. You will get 60-cm (24-inch) long lasagna sheets.
- Place the lasagna sheets on a table and let it dry for a few hours.
- In a large pot of salted water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a high-sided roasting pan, pour in 4 to 5 ladles of tomato sauce. Cover and line the sides of the dish with cooked lasagna. Continue alternating with meatball sauce, tomato sauce, Parmesan, mozzarella and lasagna, to get a dozen of layers. Keep the remaining tomato sauce for another use.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until the lasagna is hot and the cheese has melted.
This superb lasagna is actually the result of three recipes you can prepare separately: a basic tomato sauce, a meatball sauce and fresh pasta. It is also possible to divide this recipe by three. You will then get lasagna for 10 people.