- In a saucepan, combine the wine, sugar, figs, clove and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes over low heat or until the wine is syrupy. Remove the figs, let cool and cut into quarters. Set the wine aside.
- Place the rack in the middle position.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- Place the asparagus and figs on a baking sheet. Drizzle with the olive oil and toss. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes, until the asparagus are tender but still have a crunch.
- Arrange the asparagus and figs in a serving dish, drizzle the wine reduction. Sprinkle generously with Parmesan shavings.