Current version effective as of: November 29, 2016
1. Preliminary Remarks
Unless otherwise defined in this Policy, all capitalized terms used herein shall have the same meanings ascribed to them in our General Terms.
If you have any questions or comments regarding this Policy, please contact Customer Service:
Customer Service - Ricardo Media Inc.
300 d'Arran Street
2. Definition of Personal Information
For the purposes of this Policy, “Personal Information” is defined as any information that relates to a natural person and allows that person to be identified.
The Business undertakes by this Policy to comply with the requirements set out in an Act Respecting the Protection of Personal Information in the Private Sector (Quebec, c. P-39.1) with respect to the collection, retention, use and disclosure of your Personal Information.
By using the Websites and submitting Personal Information to the Business and its agents in the course of such use, you agree that we may collect, use and disclose such Personal Information in accordance with this Policy, the privacy preferences you have made known to us and as permitted or required by law.
Except as expressly otherwise authorized by law, we will not use or share your Personal Information with anyone except as described in this Policy.
5. Collection of Personal Information
In certain circumstances, the Business may ask you to provide some Personal Information, for example, when you register to one of the Websites, participate in a contest or write comments on the Websites. You are always free to provide or not to provide any Personal Information. If you refuse to provide Personal Information, you will nevertheless still have access to most parts of the Websites. However, you will not be able to access the parts that require you to provide such Personal Information.
The Personal Information you provide will be used mainly for the following purposes, in addition to the purposes expressly indicated at the time you provided them:
- Help the Business ensure the relevance of the Websites by adapting the content to your personal needs;
- Help the Business evaluate and improve the Websites;
- Optimize your client experience when you use the Websites;
- Complete a transaction you undertook through the Websites;
- Ensure after-sales service following a transaction completed through the Websites;
- Proceed to open a User Account and identify yourself afterwards;
- Identify you to the User Content you contributed on the Websites;
- Inform you of all facts or events which may be of interest to you;
- Allow to target your preferences and interests in order to provide you with advertisements that may be of interest to you;
- Register you, upon your request, to our mailing list, contests and promotions;
- Allow you to take advantage of all features and services offered through the Websites;
- Allow you to receive notifications, updates, alerts and other communications from us relating to the Websites.
The Personal Information we may collect through your use of the Websites are, inter alia, the following:
- complete name;
- physical address;
- email address;
- phone number;
- payment information;
- IP address.
6. Communication of Personal Information to Third Parties
The Business may share Personal Information with third parties when it is necessary to do so in order to offer you the services you expect and to which you are entitled. Although the Business cannot be held liable therefor, it will take reasonable steps to ensure that the Personal Information shared with third parties is kept in a manner that complies with this Policy.
Hence, please note that we may disclose Personal Information to the following persons in the following circumstances:
(a) Disclosure to Service Providers
We may disclose your Personal Information to other companies that provide services to us or on our behalf. In addition, we may disclose your Personal Information to an organization or individual retained by the Business to evaluate your creditworthiness or to collect debts outstanding on an account or to our auditors. We will only provide to those companies the information they need to deliver the service; they are prohibited from using that information for any other purpose.
The Business shares, inter alia, certain Personal Information with service providers in the following circumstances:
- For the display of targeted ads on the Websites or within the products offered by the Business, as, for example, the newsletters.
- Subscriptions to RICARDO Magazine (in the Subscription Section, available at http://www.ricardocuisine.com/subscribe) are managed by the Victor software developed by the firm Equisoft (http://www.equisoft.com/media-publishing/fulfillment-subscription). To facilitate and accelerate the subscription process, the Business may communicate some of your Personal Information to Equisoft. For example, if you are already a member of the website RICARDO Cuisine, you will be able to use the same identifiers when subscribing to the RICARDO Magazine rather than having to proceed with a new registration.
- The RICARDO Cuisine Boutique (the “Boutique”), available at http://boutique.ricardocuisine.com/en/, is managed by Les Promotions Atlantiques inc. (“PAI”). To facilitate and accelerate online purchases from the Boutique, the Business may communicate some of your Personal Information to PAI. For example, if you are already a member of the website RICARDO Cuisine, you will be able to use the same identifiers when ordering from the Boutique rather than having to proceed with a new registration.
- Payments for online purchases made from the website RICARDO Cuisine or the Subscription Section are processed through the Moneris secure payment system: http://www.moneris.com/?sc_lang=en. The information sent is what is essential to process your payment. Your credit card number is used only for transactions you make on the website RICARDO Cuisine or the Subscription Section. It is not available to the Business or anyone else at the time of the transaction, except to the Moneris online payment service. All Personal Information transmitted when you place an order, including your credit card number, remains strictly confidential and is encrypted so it cannot be intercepted. A small locked padlock at the bottom of the browser window as well as a URL beginning with “https://” rather than “http://” indicate that the page on which you are carrying out your transactions is protected by means of the SSL protocol (Secure Sockets Layer).
(b) Disclosure to Affiliates and Business Units
We may disclose your Personal Information to any of the companies and business units that form part of the Business group (i.e. Ricardo Media Inc., its subsidiaries, affiliates and members of its group) in order to serve you better and to provide you with information about our group's products and services.
(c) Disclosure to Business Partners
From time to time, our magazines or websites may make their list of customers available to other carefully screened organizations that want to let you know about a product or service that might interest you. The material to be sent to you is reviewed by us before the names and addresses (including email addresses) are released to ensure the organization is reputable and the material is appropriate and not misleading.
(d) Disclosure in the Event of a Sale
The Business may be involved in the sale or transfer of some or all of its business. As part of that sale or transfer, the Business may disclose your Personal Information to the acquiring organization, but will require the acquiring organization to agree to protect the privacy of your Personal Information in a manner that is consistent with this Policy.
(e) Law Enforcement and Legal Disclosure
The Business may disclose your Personal Information to a government agency that has asserted its lawful authority to obtain the information or where the Business has reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful in the investigation of unlawful activity, or to comply with a subpoena or warrant or an order made by a court, person or body with jurisdiction to compel the production of information, or to comply with court rules regarding the production of records and information, or to the Business’ legal counsel.
7. Browsing Information
Browsing information is used, among other things, to measure the interest and the use made by the Internet users of certain parts of the Websites and the Subscription Section as well as the effectiveness of certain promotion programs administered by or on behalf of the Business. Said information cannot identify you; rather, it is statistical data with respect to the dwell time, pages visited, the order in which the pages were visited, etc.
8. Facebook Connect
When you use Facebook Connect, your Facebook profile, your public data and other information, if any, that you have expressly agreed to share with the Business, available on Facebook are transferred from Facebook to the Business in order to ensure your registration with the Websites as well as your full access to its functions.
By connecting via Facebook Connect, you authorize the transfer of the aforementioned data from your Facebook profile to the Business. If you refuse this data transfer, please create an account on the Websites without using the Facebook Connect service.
9. Data Retention
The Business undertakes to keep on record your Personal Information only for the time required to fulfill the purposes identified herein, and as long as your User Account exists.
When a User Account is closed or a transaction initiated through the Websites is successfully completed, part of the Personal Information related to this User Account or the client may remain in our file. This Policy applies to Personal Information of former users and clients, and we take the same care and precautions regarding the Personal Information of former users and clients as for our current users and clients.
Furthermore, the Business may preserve Personal Information related to a given User Account or former client even after a User Account has been closed or a transaction initiated through the Websites has been successfully completed, if necessary, in order (i) to comply with any legal obligations, (ii) resolve disputes, (iii) prevent fraud and abuse, or (iv) to enforce this Policy or our General Terms.
10. Access to Your Personal Information
Personal Information is available only to employees and members of the organization who need it to perform their work.
11. Access to your File
At all times, you can request the Business to provide you with any Personal Information we have concerning you and, if applicable, inquire whether any of your Personal Information has been disclosed to third parties (your “File”). Please note that access to your File is free of charge. However, a reasonable fee may apply if you require the transcription, reproduction or transmission of your File. We will inform you in advance of these fees, if any.
12. Accuracy of Personal Information
The Personal Information you disclose to the Business should be as complete, accurate and up-to-date as possible.
You may, at any time, have your File edited to correct inaccurate or incomplete Personal Information and to have information that is outdated or not justified by the purposes provided herein deleted from your File. You can do so by updating the Personal Information found in your User Account or by contacting us.
The Company may, at any time and at its sole discretion, amend this Policy. We will notify you thereof by publishing on this page the amended version of the Policy, which will immediately become effective.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Business will notify the Users of any amendment to the Policy at least 30 days prior to its entry into force.
If you do not agree with one or more of the amendments to the Policy, you must then cease all use of the Websites and, if applicable, close your User Account. Continuing to use the Websites or not closing your User Account after the Business has published the changes will constitute your acceptance of the amendments to the Policy.
* * *
La version française de la Politique de confidentialité est disponible à l’adresse suivante : https://www.ricardocuisine.com/politique-de-confidentialite
Prior versions: August 11, 2014.