Cherry Tomato and Cheese Curd Salad
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sugar
- A touch of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups (750 ml) cherry tomatoes of various colours, halved
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) cheese curds
- 1 cup (250 ml) small fresh basil leaves (or large leaves, chopped)
- Salt and pepper
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Add to the salad ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
Cheese curd originated in the centre of Quebec in the 1960s. At that time, there were huge surpluses of milk, and the many dairy farms in the region, wishing to sell off their stock, developed a new variety of cheese that was quick and easy to prepare. In rural areas, it was common to go to the cheese factory to eat fresh cheese while it was still warm. Cheese curd quickly became very popular; it is still made today by about thirty local cheesemakers.