Caramel Marshmallow Fluff
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) hot water
- 1 cup (250 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) corn syrup
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, bring 125 ml (1/2 cup) of water, the sugar and corn syrup to a boil. Clean the sides of the pan with a wet brush to remove any sugar crystals. Cook without stirring until the preparation turns golden brown.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat. Add the remaining water in a stream. Bring to a boil. Cook until a candy thermometer reads 112 °C (235 °F). Remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add the hot syrup to the egg whites while beating. Continue beating until the meringue is at room temperature, about 15 minutes. Add the vanilla and stir to combine.
- Keeps in an airtight container at room temperature.
If you prefer ...
In addition to the Chocolate Almond Spread, the Orange Spread and the Caramel Marshmallow Fluff, you can make a quick spread with honey and peanut butter. In a bowl, whisk together 60 ml (1/4 cup) of honey with 250 ml (1 cup) of plain peanut butter with an electric mixer. A classic that many people spread on their toasts. For variety, substitute the plain peanut butter for almond butter. It is found in the natural products section of most grocery stores.