Apple–Cheddar Quick Bread
- 2 cups (500 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) grated extra-sharp cheddar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) honey
- 1 cup (250 ml) grated apples
- 1 cup (250 ml) apples cut into 1/2-inch (1-cm) dice
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F). Butter a 13 x 23-cm (5 x 9-inch) loaf pan.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cheese. Set aside.
- In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the eggs, brown sugar and honey until creamy.
- With the mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Gently stir in the grated and diced apples with a wooden spoon. Do not overmix.
- Scrape the batter into the loaf pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool partially. Unmould onto a cooling rack and let cool.
- Serve warm or cold with sliced ham.