- 1 1/2 cups (225 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup (210 g) brown sugar
- 5 oz (140 g) milk or dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (100 g) quick-cooking oatmeal
- In a 4-cup (1 litre) canning jar, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Gently add the brown sugar and press down lightly. Add the chocolate followed by the oats until you have 4 distinct layers.
- Close the jar. Include a greeting card with baking instructions.
Add 1/2 cup (125 ml) canola oil or 1/2 cup (115 g) of melted unsalted butter, 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk and 1 lightly beaten egg to the ingredients in the jar. Using a spoon, drop 2 tbsp of dough for each cookie onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Press down lightly with your fingers. Bake on the middle rack of an oven preheated to 375°F (190°C) for 10 to 12 minutes.