Individual Salmon, Potato and Zucchini Strata
- 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sour cream
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped fresh chives
- 1 1/2 lb (675 g) skinless salmon fillet, cut crosswise into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) chopped fresh thyme
- 1 zucchini, cut into thin rounds
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Place the potatoes and garlic cloves in a large saucepan. Cover with water, add salt, bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Using a masher, coarsely mash the potatoes and garlic. Add the sour cream and chives. Adjust the seasoning. Set aside.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Oil 4 metal rings or round cookie cutters about 7 cm (2 3/4 inches) high and 9 cm (3 1/2 inches) across. If necessary, substitute 540-ml (19-oz) cans opened at both ends.
- In a bowl, combine the salmon, lemon juice and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the metal rings on the baking sheet. Cover the bottom of each ring with 1/8 of the mashed potatoes. Layer 1/8 of the salmon slices on the potatoes. Cover the salmon with a layer of zucchini arranged in a rosette pattern. Season with salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining ingredients, ending with a zucchini layer. Brush with oil. Transfer to the oven and bake in the metal rings for about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the cranberries and parsley. To serve, transfer to 4 dinner plates. Carefully remove the rings. Garnish with the cranberry–parsley mixture and a drizzle of olive oil.
Can be made a day ahead. Cook just before serving.