- 1 3/4 cups (430 ml) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 10 tablespoons (125 ml) unsalted butter, very cold, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable shortening, very cold, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup to cup (60 to 75 ml) ice water
Pastru crust (2 crusts)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) cornstarch
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) 35% cream
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
- In the bowl of a food processor, place the flour and salt. Pulse for a second just to combine.
- Add the butter and shortening. Pulse for a few seconds until the mixture is coarse and grainy.
- Add 60 ml (¼ cup) of ice water. Pulse and add some water, if necessary, until a ball begins to form. Remove the dough. Form a ball with your hands. Dust with flour and cover in plastic wrap. Let rest for about 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- With the rack in the lowest position, preheat the oven to 190 °C (375 °F). Roll out half of the dough. Line a 20-cm (8-inch) pie plate. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and cornstarch. Add the egg and cream. Blend well.
- Pour into the unbaked pie crust. Scatter dabs of butter over the pie filling.
- Bake until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
Carefully cover the second half of dough in plastic wrap and freeze for another use. Thaw in the refrigerator.