Whiskey Caramel Flan
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) sugar
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) whiskey
- 1 3/4 cups (430 ml) milk, hot
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) extra sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) whiskey
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a saucepan, bring the sugar and whiskey to a boil and cook until the mixture turns golden brown. Pour into six 125 ml (1/2 cup) capacity ramekins.
- In a bowl, pour the hot milk over the extra sugar and stir to dissolve.
- In another bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Add the milk mixture and stir in the whiskey. Pour into the ramekins.
- Place a cloth or cooking mat (Silpat) at the bottom of large baking dish. Place the ramekins on the cloth and fill with hot water halfway up the ramekins. Bake for about 35 minutes.
- Remove the ramekins from the water bath and let cool for 30 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Just before serving, run a knife around the flan and flip to unmould onto a plate. Serve cold.