- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 190 °C (375 °F).
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Lightly press the crust in a 20-cm (8-inch) springform pan at the bottom and sides, three quarters up the edge. Bake for about 10 minutes. Allow to cool.
- In a bowl, with an electric mixer, cream the cheese, vanilla and sugar until smooth. With the mixer still on, blend in half of the whipped cream. With a spatula, gently fold in the remaining whipped cream.
- Spoon the filling into the crust. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- In a skillet, melt the brown sugar in the butter. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the apples and caramelize over high heat for about 5 minutes. Deglaze with the Calijo or Calvados. Cook for 2 minutes. Place the apples in a bowl and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the refrigerator and top with the caramelized apples. Serve cold. Keep the remaining pie in the refrigerator.
Calijo is a Quebec apple brandy produced here, in Montérégie, at the Cidrerie Michel Jodoin. Available at the SAQ, this excellent product has won numerous international awards. As for the Calvados, it is an “appellation controlee” apple brandy, produced in Normandy and in other departments of northern France.