Eggplant, Roasted Garlic and Provolone Pizza
- 2 bulbs garlic
- 8 to 10 thin slices medium size eggplant
- Olive oil
- 1 recipe Homemade Pizza Dough
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) pizza sauce
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- Fresh basil, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- Slice off the tops of the garlic bulbs. Place on a sheet of aluminum foil and drizzle with a few drops of oil. Wrap tightly and bake for about 45 minutes. Set aside.
- In a skillet, brown the eggplant in the olive oil (be generous with the oil for the eggplant to brown properly). Season with salt and set aside.
- Sprinkle a little cornmeal on the hot pizza stone and the pizza peel. Roll out the dough for two 20-cm (8-inch) pizza.
- Squeeze out the garlic flesh from the skin cloves to extract as much roasted garlic as possible and spread over the dough. Cover with pizza sauce. Add the eggplant and cheese.
- Slide the pizza on the pizza stone. Bake at the lowest position of the oven for about 15 minutes.
For perfect cheese shavings, you need to recognize the right temperature: it should neither be too cold nor too hot. A peeler can remove in very thin slices which curls over onto itself. Grana Padano cheese works very well. Try This!
For the choice of toppings for your pizza, go with your mood. The proportions are difficult to quantify. Just remember not to overload the pizza. At the time of eating, you need to be able to take a slice in your hands to eat it.