Italian Torte with Fruit, Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups (500 ml) chopped fruit (pears, cherries, pineapple, etc.).
- Icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Butter a 20-cm (8-inch) springform pan with a removable bottom.
- In a bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat the egg, sugar and lemon zest with an electric mixer until the mixture becomes very frothy and pale, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the olive oil, milk and balsamic vinegar. Blend well. With a spatula, fold in the dry ingredients.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Spoon the fruit over the batter. Bake in the middle of the oven for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- You can add other fruits for decoration.