- In a saucepan, bring the broth and mushrooms to a boil. Remove from the heat, cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Drain the mushrooms through a sieve and collect the maximum amount of the black juice. In total, you need 500 ml (2 cups) of liquid. If this is not the case, add a little water. Discard the mushrooms.
- In a saucepan, brown the bacon in the oil and butter until almost crisp. Add the garlic, onion and thyme. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper. Continue cooking over medium heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir to evenly distribute the beans. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the liquid is completely absorbed.
- Serve hot with chicken, beef or fish.
Djon djon is a mushroom sold in Caribbean grocery stores.