Scalloped Jerusalem Artichokes (2)
- about 2 lb (1 kg) Jerusalem artichokes, peeled and cut into pieces (about 1.125 l / 4 1/2 cups peeled pieces)
- 1 cup (250 ml) 35% cream or 15% cooking cream
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) onion salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) medium-sharp cheddar, grated
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a bowl, combine the artichokes, cream, onion salt, half the cheese and Cayenne pepper.
- Pour into a 23 x 13-cm (9 x 5-inch) baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake in the middle of the oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until tender.
This tuber native of North America is finally returning home. Jerusalem artichoke resembles ginger root by its color, thin skin and its irregular shape. Here’s where the comparisons stop. It has a white and delicate flesh and a sweet flavor reminiscent of artichokes, hence its name. It is a fragile vegetable. Handle with care because it darkens quickly. When peeled, dip in lemon water. Its thin skin is edible, you could simply brush it under cold water, cut into pieces and proceed with the recipe, the result will be less attractive but equally delicious. Jerusalem artichokes can be stored unwashed in a pierced plastic bag in the crisper. They are eaten raw or cooked, au gratin, mashed, in soups or stews.