Vanilla Cream Pie
- 1 1/4 cups (310 ml) graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) semi-salted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cornstarch
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) brown sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) 35% whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- With the rack in the lowest position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a bowl, combine the crumbs, brown sugar and melted butter. Press lightly into a 20-cm (8-inch) pie plate. Bake for about 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a bowl, combine the cornstarch with 75 ml (1/3 cup) of milk. Set aside.
- Split the vanilla bean in half and scrape the seeds out with the tip of a knife. If using vanilla extract, add it without steeping.
- In a saucepan, pour the remaining milk. Add the pod and seeds to the saucepan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Whisk in about 60 ml (1/4 cup) of hot milk to temper the eggs. Whisk in the remaining hot milk.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and stir over low heat until it thickens.
- Pour into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the vanilla cream. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and vanilla extract. Whip until stiff peaks form.
- Whip the cooled vanilla cream and fold in half the whipped cream. Pour over the crust and refrigerate for 4 hours. Garnish with the remaining whipped cream.