Turkey Leg Confit
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) coarse salt
- 2 bay leaves, chopped
- 4 juniper berries
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) coriander seeds
- The leaves of 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) pink peppercorns
- 2 cloves
- 2 turkey legs of about 2 lbs (1 kg) each
- 8 cups (2 litres) duck fat, approximately
- First prepare the Seasoned Salt. To do this, combine the salt, bay leaves, juniper berries, coriander seeds, thyme, peppercorns and cloves.
- Place the turkey legs in a large pan. Sprinkle each leg with 20 ml (4 teaspoons) of seasoned salt. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Preheat the oven to 140 °C (275 °F).
- Rinse and pat turkey legs dry.
- Clean the pan and place the meat. In another saucepan, melt the duck fat over low heat. Pour over the turkey to cover.
- Cover and bake for about 3 hours, until the meat falls easily from the bone. Debone and serve in a salad.
Divide 1 litre (4 cups) mixed greens among four plates with about 250 ml (1 cup) shredded turkey confit, 170 g oyster mushrooms, sautéed in butter, and a vinaigrette made of: 15 ml (1 tablespoon) Dijon mustard, 5 ml (1 teaspoon) white wine vinegar, 30 ml (2 tablespoons) vegetable oil, 30 ml (2 tablespoons) walnut oil, 5 ml (1 teaspoon) chopped fresh tarragon, salt and pepper.