- 1 onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 cups (500 ml) halved grape tomatoes
- Cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 ml) toasted pecan halves
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) olive oil
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sugar
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) hot pepper sauce or to taste
- Salt and pepper
- Soak the onion in a bowl of ice water for about 30 minutes. Drain. This optional step will mellow the onion’s flavour.
- In a salad bowl, toss the onion, lettuce and tomatoes. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, toss the salad with dressing and pecan halves to taste. Adjust the seasoning.