Slow-Cooked Sweet and Sour Spareribs
- 3 lb (1.4 kg) pork spareribs
- 1 cup (250 ml) apricot jam
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) mirin
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Cut the spareribs apart at every other rib.
- In the slow cooker, combine the jam, mirin, soy and garlic. Add the meat and coat well with the sauce. Cover and cook over low heat until the meat pulls easily from the bone, about 6 hours.
- Transfer the ribs to a plate, tent with aluminum foil and set aside.
- In a saucepan, bring the cooking juices to a boil and reduce by half.
- Serve the ribs with the sauce. Accompany with jasmine rice and your choice of vegetables (sautéed broccoli or sautéed red, orange and yellow bell peppers, for example).