Plum and Port Wine Jam
- 6 cups (1.5 litres) blue or black ripe plums, pitted and diced
- 4 cups (1 litre) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) port wine
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) apple juice
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 cloves
- In a saucepan, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Cook over high heat, stirring frequently for about 30 minutes or until it thickens. Perform the plate test (see note).
- Pour into sterilized jars. Sterilize the filled and firmly closed jars in boiling water for 15 minutes for longer storage.
Use the plate test to check the jam’s consistency. Before you begin cooking the jam, put a small plate in the freezer to get it very cold. At the suggested cooking time, remove the jam from the heat to stop cooking and place approximately 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of jam on the plate. Immediately place the plate back in the freezer for a few minutes. If the jam is not thick enough, cook for a few more minutes and repeat the test.