Rhubarb and Strawberry Sorbet
- 4 cups (1 litre) sliced fresh rhubarb
- 2 cups (500 ml) fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 1/4 cups (310 ml) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) water
- In a large saucepan, combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Simmer gently for 6 to 8 minutes or until the fruit are tender.
- In a blender, purée the fruit until smooth. Strain if desired. Let cool. Cover and refrigerate until completely chilled, about 2 hours.
- Churn the sorbet in an ice cream maker, according to manufacturer's instructions. Freeze.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, freeze the rhubarb and strawberry mixture in a pyrex dish lined with plastic wrap. Unmould and remove the plastic wrap. Cut into cubes and purée in a food processor. Return to the freezer immediately. However good, the texture of the sorbet will be coarser.