Grilled Pineapple with Coconut Milk
- 1 can (14 oz/398 ml) coconut milk
- 1 cup (240 g) brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pineapple, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices
- 1 cup (70 g) sweetened shredded coconut, toasted (optional)
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat the grill, setting the burners to high. Oil the grate.
- Pour the coconut milk into a bowl. On a plate, combine the brown sugar and cinnamon. Dip a pineapple slice in the coconut milk, allow the excess to drip off, and press into the brown sugar and cinnamon mixture. Repeat with the remaining pineapple slices.
- Grill the slices for 4 or 5 minutes on each side, or until the sugar has caramelized. Serve hot or cold. Sprinkle with shredded coconut if desired. Serve with ice cream or Rum and Coconut Pannacotta. and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
On request, some grocery stores will peel and core a whole pineapple for you. Or, at home, using a good chef’s knife or serrated bread knife, simply slice off the top and the bottom of the pineapple. Stand the pineapple upright, then trim the skin by sliding the knife blade from top to bottom. Core, slice and serve.