Lamb Shanks Braised with Tomatoes and Fennel
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 fennel bulbs, stems removed and cut into wedges
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Pernod or other anise-flavored liqueur
- 1-28 oz (796 ml) can of stewed tomatoes
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 cans 14 oz (398 ml) of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and pepper
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 170 °C (325 °F).
- In a large ovenproof pan, brown the shanks on all sides in 30 ml (2 tablespoons) oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set the shanks aside on a plate.
- Remove the fat from the pan. Brown the fennel and onion in the remaining oil. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Deglaze with the Pernod and reduce until almost dry.
- Put the lamb back in the pan. Add the tomatoes and rosemary. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for about 2 ½ hours or until the meat falls off the bone. Add the beans and cook for 15 additional minutes. Remove the rosemary. Adjust seasoning.