Braised Chicken with Figs and Lemon
- 1 skinless chicken, cut into pieces, or 6 to 8 skinless chicken pieces (thighs, breast, legs)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Grated zest of 2 lemons and the juice of 1 lemon
- 3 cups (750 ml) chicken broth
- A pinch of ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) dried thyme
- 8 dried figs, halved
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Dust the chicken pieces with flour.
- In a saucepan, brown the chicken in half the oil. Remove the chicken, discard the drippings and brown the onions and garlic in the remaining oil.
- Return the chicken to the saucepan with the remaining ingredients. Bring to boil and bake for about 1 hour.
- Adjust the seasoning. Serve with rice.
This braised chicken can be frozen.