- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato paste
- 5 cups (1.25 litres) chicken broth
- 2 cups (280 g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cans (6 oz/170 g each) light tuna, drained and cubed
- 1/2 cup (95 g) oil-packed Kalamata olives, drained, pitted and halved
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- In a large pot, soften the bell peppers, onion and garlic in the oil without browning, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the broth, cherry tomatoes, tuna and olives. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer gently for about 5 minutes.
- Add the green onions and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the soup with cucumber tea sandwiches.
This Niçoise soup also goes well with egg sandwiches. For variety, serve the soup with a poached egg in the center.