- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh chives
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh summer savoury leaves
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) finely diced carrots
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) finely chopped leeks (white and green parts)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) finely chopped celery
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) coarse salt
- Finely chop all the herbs.
- Combine all the ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 5 days. Spoon into 8 125-ml (1/2 cup) jars. Seal and refrigerate. The herbs will keep for at least several weeks in the refrigerator.
Herbes salées (herbs preserved with salt) are a traditional Quebec seasoning. Often used to flavour soups, especially pea soup, they can also be added to mashed potatoes, salad dressings and any dish that will be enhanced by the pleasing taste of salty fresh herbs.