Pork Crown Roast with Cranberry, Rosemary and Balsamic
- 8 cups (2 litres) cold water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) black peppercorns
- 1 pork crown roast of 12 to 16 ribs (see note)
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken broth
- 1 can 14 oz (398 ml) jellied cranberry sauce (without pieces), chopped
- Salt and pepper
Pork and Sauce
- In a saucepan, bring 250 ml (1 cup) of water, the sugar, salt and pepper to a boil. Pour into a large 5 liter (20 cup) glass bowl or large pan and add the remaining water.
- Place the crown roast in the brine and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
Pork and Sauce
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 230 °C (450 °F).
- Drain and pat the meat dry.
- Brush the meat with the mustard and sprinkle with the rosemary.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, soften the onion and garlic in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Deglaze with the vinegar. Add the broth and cranberry jelly. Add the crown to the pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Reduce the oven’s temperature to 170 °C (325 °F) and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until a thermometer inserted in the centre of the meat reads 60 °C (140 °F). If necessary, cover the bones with aluminum foil to prevent them from burning during cooking. Cover with foil and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning of the sauce and pour into a gravy boat.
- Present the crown on a bed of fresh rosemary.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or baby potatoes.
Good to Know
Ask your butcher to prepare the crown for you and add that you want a defatted pork roast with cleaned bones and cut between each rib. It is best to order the crown in advance so that the butcher has time to prepare it.
Brining and all the crown and sauce preparation can be done in advance. Just put the crown roast in the oven about 1 hour 30 minutes before serving.