Slow Cooker Bolognese Sauce
- 1/4 lb (115 g) pancetta, finely chopped
- 2 lbs (1 kg) mixture of ground meat (veal, pork and beef)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white or red wine
- 1 can 28 oz (796 ml) crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) chicken broth
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) milk or 35% cream
- 1 can 5 oz (156 ml) tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
- In a large skillet, brown the pancetta and meat in the oil, breaking the meat with a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, brown the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Add oil, if needed. Deglaze with the wine and reduce for 1 minute. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Remove the bay leaf and adjust the seasoning. Let cool and stir so that the surface water is incorporated into the sauce.
- Serve over pasta and sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese.
This recipe is from the book "La mijoteuse – De la lasagne à la crème brûlée”.