Cold noodles with Spicy Shrimp
- 1 lb (450 g) raw shrimp, peeled
- 1 cup (100 g) snow peas, sliced into thin julienne or whole
- 1 package (9 oz/250 g) rice vermicelli
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) rice vinegar
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 cherry pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp mint, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zest finely grated
- In a pot of boiling water, cook the shrimp and snow peas for 1 minute or until the shrimp are cooked. Cool them in ice water and drain. Set aside.
- Soak the rice vermicelli in boiling water for about 5 minutes. Rinse under cold running water and drain.
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients. Adjust the seasoning. Serve the salad that same day.
The warm-cold contrast of the pepper (spicy), mint (fresh) and rice vermicelli (cold) makes for an astonishing blend of fresh flavours. Enjoy it during a hot summer day with a chilled rosé wine.