Key Lime Pie
- 1 1/4 cups (310 ml) graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) lime or key lime juice
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) cornstach
- 1 can 300 ml sweetened condensed milk
- Grated zest of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) 35% cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups (430 ml) 35% cream
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) icing sugar
- Grated zest of 1 lime (optional)
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Press into a 23-cm (9-inch) pie plate. Bake for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, off the heat, mix lime juice and cornstarch with a whisk. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan, until it thickens. Pour filling into crust. Refrigerate for about three hours or until completely cooled.
- In a bowl, beat all the ingredients with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Garnish the pie with the whipped cream.
Key Lime Pie is usually topped with whipped cream. For a lower fat pie, you can replace it with meringue.