Steamed Mussels in Coconut Milk
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 ml) light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) honey
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) rice vinegar
- 2 lbs (1 kg) mussels or other shellfish (clams, cockles ...), cleaned
- Salt and pepper
- In a saucepan, soften the onion and garlic with the ginger in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the coconut milk, honey, and rice vinegar. Bring to a boil and add the mussels. Cover and continue cooking, stirring frequently until they open, about 5 minutes. Discard any closed mussels. Adjust the seasoning.
- Divide the mussels into two bowls. Drizzle with the cooking juices.
If you select several shellfish, know that cockles and clams should be added 5 minutes before the mussels as they require more cooking time.