Wild Rice Salad with Grilled Pork and Peanuts
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) wild rice
- 2 boneless pork chops, about 1-inch (2.5-cm) thick, fat removed
- 2 bell peppers (yellow and red), thinly sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) unsalted peanuts, toasted and chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) mirin
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) baby arugula or watercress
- Salt and pepper
- In a saucepan, cook the rice in salted water for about 50 minutes or until it has broken open and it is tender. Drain and set aside.
- Oil the chops. Season with salt and pepper. In a ridged skillet or on the grill, grill the chops on each side until the desired doneness. Let cool and slice thinly.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the arugula. Adjust the seasoning.
- This salad can be eaten warm or cold. Top with arugula just before serving.
For a kid-friendly version, omit the arugula and remember to remove the peanuts that are now banned from schools.