Caramel and Salted Butter Pudding
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) sugar
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) 35% cream
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cold salted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) vanilla extract
- In a saucepan off the heat, combine 60 ml (1/4 cup) of sugar, cornstarch and flour. Add the milk and eggs and whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Place the remaining sugar and the water in another saucepan and bring to a boil. Using a wet pastry brush, wash down any sugar crystals from the sides of the pan. Simmer without stirring until the mixture turns golden brown (see note). Remove from the heat and slowly add the cream. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until smooth.
- Slowly pour the caramel into the egg mixture while whisking. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer gently for about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Add the butter and vanilla and stir until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into six 125-ml (1/2-cup) jars or ramekins. Refrigerate for about 3 hours. Serve with Vanilla Cookies (see recipe).
For a subtler caramel flavour, simmer the sugar–water mixture only until it begins to brown before adding the cream.
If using unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt to the egg mixture.