Homemade Chunky Ketchup (The Best)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) pickling spices
- 24 red tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 12 apples, peeled, seeded and diced
- 6 onions, diced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cups (500 ml) white vinegar
- 5 cups (1.25 litres) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) salt
- Place the pickling spices in a tea ball or in a piece of cheesecloth
- In a large heavy pot, combine all the ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Simmer over medium heat for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into hot sterilized jars. Let cool and refrigerate
To sterilize the filled jars with ketchup in boiling water, it will take about 15 minutes. This ensures a long shelf life at room temperature. Unsterilized ketchup will keep for three weeks in the refrigerator. You can also freeze the ketchup, without any sterilization.
Erratum: The recipe for Homemade Chunky Ketchup published in Volume 8, Number 7 is wrong. Please take the Web version of the recipe, where the vinegar was added. We are sincerely sorry.