- 2 cups (500 ml) pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (250 ml) brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (310 ml) banana (about 3), mashed
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Butter a 23 x 13-cm (9 x 5-inch) loaf pan.
- In a bowl, combine the flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar for about 1 minute until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth. Add the mashed bananas and beat with a wooden spoon. Add the dry ingredients alternately with the milk.
- Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool before unmoulding and slicing.
For walnut banana bread, add 250 ml (1 cup) of chopped walnuts to the recipe. Add them to the batter along with the mashed bananas.