Maple Glazed Bok Choy
- 1 large bok choy, or 4 small, about 6 oz (175 g) each
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) untoasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) maple syrup
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Cut the bok choy into 2.5-cm (1-inch) thick slices on the diagonal.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat the oil. Fry the bok choy with the garlic for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the soy sauce, maple syrup, and green onions. Continue cooking over high heat for about 3 minutes. Adjust the seasoning.
- Serve with grilled pork tenderloin or poultry as the Tea-Smoked Chicken (see recipe).
Toasted sesame oil is much more fragrant than the untoasted sesame oil. Be sure to read your recipe before using one or the other when cooking. If you do not have untoasted sesame oil, you can replace it with a mixture of one-third toasted sesame oil and two-thirds peanut or canola oil. Thus, to obtain the equivalent of 15 ml (1 tablespoon) of untoasted sesame oil, use 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of sesame oil mixed with 10 ml (2 teaspoons) peanut or canola oil.