Ethné de Vienne’s Berbere Hamburger
- 1 lb (454 g) ground beef
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) berbere spices, ground
- 1/4 Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) clarified butter (or spicy butter)
- Cream cheese, to taste
- Apple and mint relish, to taste (Lady Tartine)
- 4 Berber bread (black cumin or fennel), cut in half and toasted
- 1 tomato, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- In a bowl, combine the meat, egg, ginger, garlic, and 22.5 ml (1 1/2 tablespoons) of berbere spices.
- Shape the meat mixture into 4 patties. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion in 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of clarified butter. Sprinkle with the remaining spices. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet, brown the patties in the remaining butter for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish the bread with cream cheese and relish. Place the patties on the bottom bread. Garnish with onions and tomato slices.