- 4 1/2 lbs (2 kg) McIntosh apples, cored and sliced (about 16 apples)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground ginger (optional)
- In a saucepan, cook the apples and lemon juice for 10 minutes over high heat, stirring frequently.
- In a food processor, purée the apples until smooth. Strain and return to the same saucepan. Add the spices. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 2 hours and 30 minutes to 3 hours, stirring frequently, until it has the texture of soft butter.
- Sweeten to taste.
- This butter will keep for up to two weeks in the refrigerator.
Vary the flavour and texture of the butter by using a mixture of different apples.
To avoid any sticking, use a nonstick saucepan.
Use a splatter guard to avoid messy splashes.