Microwave Apple Butter
- 4 1/2 lbs (2 kg) McIntosh apples, cored and sliced (about 16 apples)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground cinnamon (optional)
- A pinch ground ginger (optional)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the apples and lemon juice. Cook in the microwave oven on high for about 5 minutes.
- In the food processor, purée the apples until smooth. Add a little water if necessary. Strain and pour into same bowl. Cover with parchment paper and punch holes in random places to allow steam to escape.
- Continue cooking in the microwave oven for about 45 minutes, stirring every 5 to 10 minutes, until the purée has the texture of soft butter. Add the cinnamon and ginger, if desired.
- Sweeten, to taste.
The cooking time may vary depending on the power of your microwave oven. This recipe was tested in a 1000-watt oven. If by any chance the butter becomes too thick, just add a little apple juice to adjust the texture.