Lasagna with Eggplant Caviar and Roasted Red peppers
- 3 red peppers
- 2 eggplants
- Salt and pepper
- About 4 cups (1 litre) tomato sauce, homemade or store-bought
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) fresh basil, chopped (approximately)
- 6 1/2 oz (200 g) mozzarella, sliced
- With the rack in the highest position, preheat the oven’s broiler.
- Cut the peppers in half, remove the seeds and place them on a baking sheet, skin side up. Roast the peppers under the broiler until the skin blackens. Place the peppers in an airtight container and let cool. Peel and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- Prick the eggplants with a fork and place on a baking sheet. Bake for about 1 hour. Let them cool and cut in half lengthwise. With a spoon, remove the flesh and purée it in the blender or with a potato masher. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To assemble the lasagna, cover the bottom of a 28 x 18-cm (11 x 7-inch) baking dish with half of the tomato sauce. Place 3 noodles over sauce. Top with the peppers and basil. Place 3 more noodles and line with the eggplant caviar. Cover with the last three noodles and spoon the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes. Brown under the broiler. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
To spice it up, sprinkle a little grated Parmesan cheese over the lasagna before broiling.