Roast Beef Sandwiches with Coleslaw and Horseradish
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) white wine vinegar
- 4 tsp (20 ml) prepared horseradish
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sugar
- 2 cups (175 g) finely shredded cabbage
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices rye or whole-grain bread
- 1/2 lb (225 g) roast beef, thinly sliced
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, horseradish, and sugar. Add the cabbage and green onions. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Butter the bread and cover with the meat. Top with the coleslaw.
Whether to bring them to a picnic, to eat outside, or to serve on a buffet, dishes containing cream or other dairy products, eggs, mayonnaise, meat, fish, or poultry must be kept no longer than 2 hours at room temperature. This standing time is even shorter when food is exposed the hot summer days. Do not forget to place an ice pack in your picnic basket.