Pumpkin and Seafood Risotto
- 1 pumpkin, about 6.5 lbs (3 kg)
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 4 cups (1 litre) chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 ml) clam juice (see note)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) shallots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter
- 2 cups (500 ml) Arborio rice
- 1 cup (250 ml) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 lb (350 g) medium-sized scallops, patted dry
- 3/4 lb (350 g) medium-sized shrimp, shelled, deveined and patted dry
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) chopped fresh chives
- With the rack in the lowest position, preheat the oven to 180 ° C (350 ° F).
- With a knife, remove the top of the pumpkin. With a spoon, scrape out the seeds until the inside is smooth. Lightly oil the pumpkin, inside and out. Season the inside with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet. Bake for about 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the flesh is tender. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat the chicken broth and clam juice. Set aside.
- In another saucepan, soften the shallots in the butter. Add the rice and coat with the butter. Add the broth, about 250 ml (1 cup) at a time, stirring frequently until the liquid has been completely absorbed before adding more broth. After about 20 minutes, the rice should be al dente. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Adjust the seasoning. Pour into the pumpkin, stir and scrape flesh into the risotto, to your taste. Adjust the seasoning.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick skillet, brown the scallops and shrimp, one after the other, in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Stir the seafood and chive in the risotto. Place the pumpkin in a serving dish in the centre of the table.
You can substitute the clam juice with white wine. In this case, add it before the broth and let reduce until dry.