Christmas Bagel Bites with Leek Spread and Smoked Salmon
- 1 cup (250 ml) thinly sliced leek
- 2 tablespoon (30 ml) butter
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) white wine
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cream cheese, softened
- Salt and pepper
- 1 bagel, sliced into thin slices (40 slices)
- 1 package 120 g smoked salmon, cut into 40 strips
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F).
- In a skillet, soften the leek in the butter. Add the wine and reduce until almost dry. Season with salt and pepper. Let cool.
- In a bowl, combine the cooled leek mixture and cream cheese. Set aside.
- Place the bagel slices on a baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Let cool.
- With an espresso teaspoon or a pastry bag fitted with a small plain tip, top each slice of bagel with about 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of leek spread. Garnish with smoked salmon. Season with pepper. If desired, garnish with capers and dill sprigs.
All the steps can be prepared in advance, even the day before. Assemble at the last minute or up to 30 minutes before serving, to avoid softening the bagel crackers.