Sugar Fudge Filled Mini Cones
- 1 cup (250 ml) 35% cream
- 1 cup (250 ml) brown sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) vanilla extract
- 24 mini cones
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- A pinch of salt
- In a heavy saucepan, bring the cream, brown sugar, sugar, syrup, and salt to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Attach a candy thermometer in the centre of the pan and simmer without stirring until the thermometer reads 112 °C (234 °F). Remove from the heat and add the vanilla, without stirring.
- Place the pan in a water bath. Let cool, without stirring, until the thermometer reads 43 to 50 °C (110 to 122 °F) or 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the water. With an electric mixer, beat until the mixture loses its gloss but is still soft, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- With a spoon or pastry bag fitted with a plain tip, fill the cones. Press about 5 ml (1 teaspoon) of nuts on the surface. Let cool for about 2 hours in a cone stand.
Cone stands are sold in most kitchen stores, such as Ares. If you don’t have one, place the cones, three by three, in small glasses.