Mashed Rutabaga and Carrots
- 4 cups (1 litre) rutabaga, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups (1 litre) carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) butter
- 2 cups (500 ml) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) honey
- Salt and pepper
- In a saucepan, gently cook the vegetables in the butter for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for about 25 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Drain and keep the broth aside.
- In a food processor, purée the vegetables with the honey until smooth. Add broth, if needed. Adjust the seasoning.
Do not confuse rutabaga with turnip. Our grandmothers also called rutabaga " Siam cabbage". It's a big round vegetable with a yellowish flesh and a purplish red marbled skin.