- 8 turnovers
- 7 oz (200 g) almond paste (marzipan), chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 drops almond extract (optional)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) blanched almonds, toasted and crushed
- 2 200 g store-bought puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) icing sugar
- In a food processor, process almond paste and sugar into fine pieces. Add butter, egg yolks and almond extract. Pulse until smooth. Pour into a bowl and add almonds. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- With the rack in the middle position, preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F). Line a 43 X 30-cm (17 X 12-inch) baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a floured work surface, roll out dough into two 25-cm (10-inch) squares of about 3-mm (1/8-inch) thick. Cut each piece of dough into four squares.
- Brush one side of the pastry with beaten egg. Spoon about 30 ml (2 tablespoons) of almond mixture in the centre of each square. Close to form triangles. With a fork, press edges to seal the dough.
- Place turnovers on the baking sheet. With scissors, make a small incision in the centre of each turnover to allow steam to escape.
- Brush with remaining beaten egg and sprinkle with almonds. Bake for about 25 minutes or until turnovers are a nice golden colour. Let cool completely and dust with icing sugar.