- 4 to 6 servings
Fish Cakes with Horseradish Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) prepared horseradish purée
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Dijon mustard
- 3 cups (750 ml) potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup (250 ml) chopped leek
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) butter
- 1 lb (454 g) haddock (or cod), cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients. Refrigerate, if necessary.
- In a pot of salted water, cook the potatoes and garlic until tender. Drain thoroughly. With a masher, crush the potatoes with the garlic until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, soften the leek over medium heat in the butter, about 3 minutes. Add the fish and cook, stirring frequently, until cooked and crumbly. Season with salt and pepper.
- With a spatula, add the fish mixture to the mashed potatoes and adjust the seasoning. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until cooled.
- Shape the mixture into 12 fish patties with about 75 ml (1/3 cup) each. Press the patties into the breadcrumbs to coat.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, brown the patties in the butter and oil for about 3 minutes per side or until golden brown. Serve with the horseradish mayonnaise.