Steamed Salmon Confit
- 1 skinless salmon fillet, about 2.5 lbs (1.2 kg)
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 4 flat-leaf parsley sprigs
- 4 fennel stems
- Place a rack in the lowest position of the oven. Place a second rack in the middle position of the oven. Preheat the oven to 225°F (110°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the salmon fillet on the baking sheet and generously brush with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with the parsley and fennel. Set aside.
- Place a baking dish filled with boiling water on the lowest rack of the oven for 5 minutes to create steam.
- Place the salmon on the rack above the baking dish. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, depending on its thickness, or until the salmon is cooked to medium rare in the centre.
- Serve the salmon hot or cold with vegetables.
The water-filled dish under the salmon creates steam that keeps the flesh of the salmon very moist.