Pickled Cauliflower and Carrots
- 2 1/2 cups (625 ml) water
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) rice vinegar
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) salt
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoon (10 ml) coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) peppercorns
- 4 cups (1 litre) cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced lengthwise on a mandolin
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, vinegar, sugar, garlic, salt, and spices to a boil. Add the vegetables and bring to a boil. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until the vegetables are al dente. Remove the garlic cloves.
- Spoon the vegetables in four clean 250 ml (1 cup) jars and fill with the boiling liquid up to ½-cm (¼-inch) off the rim. Close and let cool. Refrigerate. Wait at least 24 hours before serving to allow the flavours to develop. Keeps for about 6 months in the refrigerator.
Serve with meat or fish, in salads or antipasti.
Will keep in the refrigerator for 6 months.