Tofu and Broccoli Stir-Fry
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) hoisin sauce
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 star anise
- 1 lb (454 g) firm tofu, diced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) canola oil
- 1 broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) unsalted peanuts, toasted and crushed
- In a saucepan, bring all the ingredients to a boil. Simmer for about 3 minutes or until the sauce is slightly syrupy. Remove the spices. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the tofu in the oil. Add the broccoli and stir-fry for about 5 minutes over medium heat or until the broccoli is al dente. Add the onion and garlic and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Add the sauce and toss to combine. Cook for about 2 minutes. Serve over rice vermicelli. Garnish with the peanuts.
Hoisin sauce is made from salted and fermented soybeans, sugar, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and Chinese spices. It is used in Chinese cooking as a barbecue sauce or condiment.